This past weekend, between Thursday and Sunday, over 3,000 people volunteered to pack over 500,000 meals for Haiti at our church.
It was an incredible collaborative effort between people from five churches, the community, and local businesses. We partnered with a Christian organization called Feed My Starving Children whose sole purpose is encapsulated in its name. They raise money to pay for a dry mix of food and use thousands of volunteers to pack the food in local churches and at their packing centers. Each volunteer took a two hour shift to help.
- Most people, whether Christian or not, want to help other people. After all, we are made in the image of God.
- People get jazzed when they help others if they do it with others.
- We must give money to meet needs, but when we get our hands dirty in meeting those needs, it affects us at a deeper level.
- When Christians ‘Do’ Christianity outside of Sunday, when they worship on Sunday, corporate worship becomes more meaningful.
- It’s more fun serving others when we serve in a team.
What have you learned about team ministry in your setting?