I moved to Canada about five months ago to pastor West Park Church in London, Ontario. I’m enjoying living and serving in Canada. Early on I realized that I needed to teach on generosity. So, last week I brought a message on tithing, the fourth in a series on generosity. I don’t think I’ve every delivered a message that elicited so many positive comments as did this one. So, if you teach on giving, I hope this message will help. I’ve included a short outline below as well as a link to the full text of the sermon. The manuscript doesn’t reflect perfect grammar, but I hope you find it useful.
Tithing sermon outline:
Title: Tithing..say what?
Introduction: give caveat about pastors talking about money.
Main scripture: Malachi 1, 3
Review main points of prior sermons on generosity.
Big idea: you can grow a heart of generosity by making these four choices
- Assess your current giving level: the 7 kinds of givers
- $0 givers
- impulse givers
- cash givers
- percentage givers
- tithe plus givers
- living cap givers
- Understand the real meaning of tithing.
- Deal with the objection that tithing is Old Testament
- Create a realistic giving plan. (1 Cor 16.2)
- Start somewhere. Where you start will not be where you want to end up.
- cautions: don’t wait until you can afford it
- don’t wait until you are dead
- don’t wait until you have more money
- don’t wait until you can fully think it through.
Challenge to join next week’s tithe demo day.
Here’s the link to the pdf: tithing by Charles Stone 2014 for blog