Our church is growing and as we grow, our staff faces greater demands on their time. So, we must work smarter. Since I’m trying to build a learning culture here at West Park Church, I asked myself, “How can I help our staff work smarter?” I’ve adapted and used the Getting Things Done process for years, but sometimes it seems cumbersome. Recently, however, I discovered insights from a Microsoft employee who wrote the book, Getting Results the Agile Way. (I highly recommend it) It’s a simple process that helps improve personal productivity. I’ve summarized below the 4 simple decisions he suggests that can help boost our productivity. I’m beginning to apply them and they really work.
THE FOUR DECISIONS
- Monday vision: every Monday look at your week and determine the top three things you hope to accomplish. Write them down.
- Daily Outcomes: every day determine the top three things you want to accomplish. Write them down.
- Rule of Three: as you might have guessed it, practice the rule of three. That is, keep your high priority daily and weekly task/project lists to three items.
- Friday Reflection: on Friday look at what you accomplished, what you learned, and what you hope to do differently the following week.
This seems so simple that it seems simplistic. But, that’s it’s beauty.
Less is often more. Simple is often better.
In his book he expands upon these principles, and many more.
Here’s how we’re trying to incorporate this insight thus far.
- Each week we read 2-3 chapters of the book.
- When we meet in our weekly staff meeting we discuss our learnings.
- I created four posters reflecting the four key insights above and as a reminder I taped them to our conference room wall where we meet.
This author is quite unselfish. He offers a 30-day free plan here where he takes one key insight and expands it each day for 30 days.
As I seek to boost my productivity, while keeping healthy margins, I’m reminded that the Bible even tells us to use our time wisely.
- Making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. (Eph 5.16, ESV)
- So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom. (Ps 90.12, ESV)
How can you boost your productivity this week?