I’ve move as a pastor/teaching pastor from two churches in the last 20 years, and I’ve shared these 10 parting thoughts to those people I loved, not knowing if I’d ever see them again.
1. Say thank-you a lot.
- 1Ths. 5:16 Be joyful always; 17 pray continually; 18 give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
2. Look for the good in people and tell them.
- Eph. 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
3. Don’t morph into your culture so as to make your commitment to Christ a spiritual casuality.
4. Live in grace, but don’t abuse it. Consider a higher standard for life than everybody else.
- 1Pet. 1:15 As obedient children, let yourselves be pulled into a way of life shaped by God’s life, a life energetic and blazing with holiness.
5. Relate to others with a grace filled heart.
- See people through God’s eyes.
- Give others the benefit of the doubt.
- Freely forgive.
- Don’t hold grudges.
- When you are wrong, admit it and don’t make excuses-ask for forgivess.
- Seek understanding before being understand.
6. Laugh a lot, but not at people to make them feel bad.
7. Trust God’s heart even when you don’t see his hand at work.
- Gal. 6:9 So don’t get tired of doing what is good. Don’t get discouraged and give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time.
8. Be faithful in the small stuff.
- Luke 16:10 Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.
9. Don’t live life safely.
10. Finish well.
- 2Tim. 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day –and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.
- Luke 19:17 `Well done, my good servant!’
What are the 10 things you tell someone you love?